On January 16, the day General Hughes departed for the western Panay coast, his adjutant-general at Iloilo telegraphed a report he had received that morning from General Smith. It reads:

Iloilo, January 16, 1900.

Barry, Manila:

General Smith transmits report from Lieutenant-Colonel Byrne that Zoilo Mauricio, Tagalo from Panay, who landed at Ginigaran with 86 rifles and took part in the attack on that place December 7, asked for conference on 13th, which was granted. Zoilo appeared at conference with 30 Tagalos well armed and uniformed. Stated he had been invited by some leading people of Negros to land and take command of revolutionary forces; that he was much disappointed with outlook; did not want to fight Americans; wanted safe place in which to reside until autonomy was granted in Luzon, when he would surrender. Pending this he proposed a truce, Filipino officers to be permitted to wear uniforms and side arms in pueblos. Colonel Byrne replied that there could be no such understanding; that Tagalos were acting the part of bandits and outlaws, and that no conditions would be considered except unconditional surrender; that if they choose to return to the mountains they would be hunted down and destroyed as long as one of them was in arms against the Government. Zoilo refused these terms and returned to the mountains. Byrne obtained full information of location of enemy and (as I understand from message) that same night returned Zoilo's call with 70 men, attacking at dawn next day. Byrne and Nesbit, with advance party of 20 men, surprised headquarters and routed enemy completely. Nineteen of Zoilo's Tagalos were killed, 28 Mauser, Remington, ami Murratta rifles in perfect condition, and 19 belts containing 1,400 roundsof ammunition were captured. One insurgent officer killed; reported, but not confirmed, that it was Mauricio himself. Night march was very trying and severe. Necessitated climbing almost perpendicular side of mountains. No casualties on our side.



- o -